13 Dec Sweet Potato Soup With Toasted Pepitas
This soup is sweet and beyond delicious. We love it for breakfast on a chilly morning as well as throughout the day.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 55 minutes
YIELD: 4-6 servings
2 tbsp. coconut oil
1 medium onion chopped
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 large sweet potatoes chopped
4 cups water or chicken stock (*see stock recipe)
1 can full fat coconut milk
2 tsp. sea salt
1. Chop the sweet potatoes and onion and set aside.
2. In a large pot, over medium heat, add the coconut oil and onion.
3. Saute for 8 minutes stirring frequently.
4. Add the cinnamon and salt and cook for another 2 minutes stirring frequently.
5. Add the chopped sweet potatoes and stir so that they are covered with the cinnamon and oil.
6. Saute for 5 minutes.
7. Add the stock or water.
8. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer for 35 minutes.
9. While the soup is simmering, heat a frying pan on med/low heat.
10. Toast the pepitas until lightly browned and set aside.
11. When soup is finished, puree until smooth. I use my blender, but you can use an immersion blender too.
12. Add the puree back to the pot and add the coconut milk.
13. Cook for another 5 minutes.
14. Serve in bowls and top with the toasted pepitas.
*Options – I love to be inventive with this soup. Adding carrots or squash in place of a sweet potato is delicious too.
Hi there! The content and photos on this site are copyright protected. Please ask for written permission if you would like to use our photos and please provide a link back to the blog if you wish to share or alter the recipes in any way. Thank you!